Environmental Program Manager
Education: Bachelor degree in Business Management or Engineering, or the equivalent
Career Level: Professional
% of Travel Required: 0
Company Phone: 571-323-5200
2553 Dulles View Drive
Herndon, VA 20171
Preferred Skills, Training and Education:
• Minimum of two years’ field experience working in environmental protocols for hazardous materials, hazardous waste, air emissions, storm water, solid waste, natural and cultural resources, storage tanks, asbestos, and lead-based paint.
• The EPM must have a basic working knowledge of Microsoft (MS) Windows Operating Systems and MS Office software packages.
• The EPM must demonstrate experience conducting environmental inspections within industrial shops, identifying contractor-generated waste streams and areas of environmental noncompliance, and developing corrective action plans.
• The EPM must have a working knowledge of federal, state and local environmental regulations and DoD/Navy Instructions referencing environmental compliance and environmental management system (EMS).
• The EPM must have a basic awareness of Environmental Management Systems (EMS) prescribed in ISO 14001.
• The EPM must possess the following training:
• Site supervisor for spill cleanup in accordance with OSHA regulation and 29 CFR 1910
• 40 hours of hazardous waste management training • A minimum of 16-hour course in hazardous material transportation.
• Annual training in Spill Control and Countermeasures (SPCC) Plan, Storm Water Pollution Prevention, and Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA). Education
• Bachelor's degree in environmental science OR
• Associate's degree in environmental management from an accredited college or university (either a Hazardous Materials Manager certification, Hazardous Materials Management certification, or a Environmental Professional certification preferred) and 3 years’ hands-on management experience may substitute for Bachelor’s degree
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description generally cover the nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. This is not intended to be a complete list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Subject to the terms of an applicable collective bargaining agreement, the company management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as may be necessary.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender or gender-identity, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, pregnancy or parental status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you have a physical and/or mental disability and are interested in applying for employment and need special accommodations to use our website to apply for a position please contact, Recruiting Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 571-353-7053.Reasonable accommodation requests are considered on a case-by-case basis. The dedicated email and telephonic options above are reserved only for individuals with disabilities needing accessibility assistance to apply to an open position using our website. Please do not use the dedicated email or phone number above to inquire on the status of your job application. In order for our company to stay compliant with government regulations, please apply on line. Please DO NOT email resumes or call in lieu of applying online unless you have a physical and/or mental disability and need assistance with the online application. Shift Day Job Primary Location US-MD-Patuxent River Organization ASO Job Program & Project Management Ongoing Travel No Clearance Level Not ApplicableJob Requirements:
Akima Support Operations (ASO), provides logistics, facilities maintenance and operations, transportation and support services for mission-critical military installations and civilian agencies around the country. From the homes of U.S. Central Command and U.S. Special Operations Command to the highways of suburban Virginia, ASO experts and professionals work behind the scenes to ensure smooth and continuous operations. Our personnel enjoy competitive benefits packages and challenging roles in work environments committed to safety, diversity and opportunity for career growth. As an Alaska Native Corporation (ANC), 100% of our company’s profits go back to our 14,300 Iñupiat shareholders that have resided near and above the Arctic Circle for more than 10,000 years. Our business helps support their way of life and contributes to the survival of a culture that has thrived in a challenging environment. • Position is contingent upon contract award
The Environmental Program Manager’s primary duty and responsibility is to manage the Environmental Compliance program and ensure operations adhere to the goals and policies of the Environmental Management System and other specified sustainability requirements affecting the contract. The EPM shall develop, implement and monitor environmental strategies, policies and programs that promote sustainable development; examine the contract activities to establish where improvements can be made; and ensure compliance with environmental legislation. The position will support a wide variety of environmental compliance and project execution requirements under the following technical areas: Air Quality and Clean Air Act Compliance, Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance, Clean Water Act Compliance (both Storm Water and Wastewater), Waste Management, Storage Tank and Assets Compliance, Spill Preparedness and Planning Compliance, Sustainability Work, Lead Based Paint and Asbestos, Environmental Management System and Compliance Auditing Support. The candidate will provide technical support to project managers, crafts personnel and customer environmental management personnel.
Responsibilities Essential functions of the position include:
• Support, assist, and provide environmental expertise to ensure compliance with regulatory environmental programs consistent with the following Environmental Management System (EMS) goals and policies that include:
• Reduce the purchase and use of toxic and hazardous materials;
• Expand purchase of green products and services;
• Increase recycling;
• Reduce energy and water use;
• Increase use of alternative fuels and renewable energy;
• Integrate green building concepts in major renovations and new construction;
• Protect public health and the environment by being an environmentally responsible member of the community;
• Preserve natural, historic and cultural resources;
• Conserve natural resources by reducing discarded items, reusing items, and recycling materials, which includes purchasing products made from recycled materials;
• Integrate sound environmental practices into all operations and business decisions;
• Integrate environmental protection requirements and pollution prevention initiatives into the early planning, design and procurement of facilities, equipment and material, as well as the planning and implementation of training activities;
• Prevent or minimize pollution at its source and seek out ways to eliminate or further minimize use of hazardous materials and generation of hazardous waste;
• Maintain a sound partnership with regulatory agencies to sustain our compliance with existing and new environmental laws and regulations.
• The EPM shall maintain monitoring and measurement information to address the EMS goals and policy and provide the EMS Goals and Policy measurement information to the customer when requested.
• In the event of EMS nonconformance or environmental noncompliance associated with the services, tasks, or actions the EPM will initiate corrective and/or preventive actions to remedy the noncompliance.
• The EPM shall ensure that employees are aware of their roles and responsibilities under the EMS and how these EMS roles and responsibilities affect work performed under the contract. The EPM will coordinate, and in some cases will conduct, EMS training for all personnel. Minimum Qualifications